- 2 pint Heavy Cream, 946 ml (high fat content)
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 5 Tbs Ice Water, you may not need to use all 5 Tbs
- Pour the cold cream into your food processor. You can also use an electric whisk or stand mixer.
- Whip the cream until it separates. After around 2 ½ minutes you will see it start to over whip and really thicken. Keep going. After around 4 minutes it should be fully separated. You can see yellow buttery solids and cloudy liquid at this point.
- Once it separates pour in your ice cold water. This helps separate the butter fully separate from the liquid (buttermilk) and you will see even more buttermilk appear.
- Place a sieve over a bowl and pour in the contents of the bowl.
- The liquid that remains is buttermilk. Save it in the fridge and use it in your baking or to marinade meat.
- Squeeze the butter solids in your hands to make sure there is NO more buttermilk in there. You want to remove it all otherwise your butter will be wet. Also you can squeeze it in a clean tea towel or cheesecloth.
- Stir in some salt or flavors to your soft butter. This recipe will yield you over 4 cups of butter.
- Store in the fridge for 6 weeks and use in your baking, savory dishes or even on toast.
Dairy free milk will no work for this recipe. You need dairy cream
Use a cream with a high fat content; the higher the better.